Home Lactulose Breath Test for SIBO using Quintron EasySampler Breath Collection Kit
We are beginning to schedule Telehealth visits in early May and will be ready to mail home breath testing kits at that time.
First you will have a Telehealth visit over your smartphone or home computer with video camera with Dr. Carr. This will be scheduled with you. During this visit you will communicate with Dr. Carr about why your physician has requested this test for you, and arrangements will be made to get the home breath test kit to you by mail.
Preparation guidelines for all hydrogen-methane breath tests are here, and you may print these from a computer if you like. Be sure that you have followed these guidelines carefully before the morning that you plan to do the home breath test.
Once you receive it, open the Quintron EasySampler Breath Collection Kit. Keep the box–you will need it to mail back the completed set of breath sample tubes. The kit contains:
1. A folded instruction sheet that says Quintron Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Breath Test at the top.
2. A patient questionnaire to fill out and return with the completed test kit.
3. A double-sided copy of the Preparation Guidelines.
4. A label with Dr. Carr’s Fullerton address to put over the label with the patient’s name on the cover of the box before you mail it, and a postage label to put on the right upper corner of the box cover, above the address label.
5. EasySampler device with tube holder
6. 10 Vacuum-sealed collection tubes
7. Labels for the collection tubes
8. Two bubble wrap bags to put the tubes in before you return the kit to us
9. 10 gram dose of Lactulose
10. A zip-lock bag to put the EasySampler device into to ship it back to us for disposal.
Be careful not to insert your finger into the tube holder of the EasySampler—it contains a sharp needle.
Read the instruction sheet. Put your name and tube numbers 1 through 9 on nine of the labels, and put them on the tubes before you begin. We suggest that if possible, you also write the tube number on the outside of the tube with a Sharpie marker. Look at the video so that you understand the correct way to collect the breath samples.
Once you are ready to begin, make sure that you first collect a breath sample in tube #1 BEFORE YOU DRINK the 8 ounces of water in which you will mix the contents of the small lactulose container in the kit. THEN, prepare a 15 minute timer (there is a timer on your smartphone). Open the liquid lactulose container and add all the lactulose liquid to your 8 ounce cup of water, and stir it. Then drink the lactulose and water, and start the 15 minute timer. When the timer goes off, reset it, and collect a breath sample in tube #2. Continue collecting another sample every 15 minutes into tubes #3 through #9. There will be one tube left, please send that back in the kit also. Put the used EasySampler mouthpiece-bag device in the zip-lock bag included in the box and send it back to us for disposal.
When you have finished collecting the last 2 hour sample in tube #9, put all the tubes in the bubble wrap bags in the box, take the Mailing Label and stick it on the outside of the box covering any other label that was used to send the kit to you, and put the USPS postage label on the upper right corner of the box cover, above the mailing label. Use some clear package tape to seal the box after you close it. Then mail the kit back to us as soon as you can after you complete the test. You will have to go to a post office and hand the box to a postal worker–you cannot put the box in a mailbox. The tubes must be analyzed within 14 days of your collecting the breath samples.
The results of the breath test will be sent to your requesting physician as soon as possible.